00746: Link markup broken in 2.1.6
Description: The links
worked in previous versions of PmWiki, but no longer. (See also InterMap), it should be changed back
Fails with the message
PmWiki can't process your request ?invalid page name We are sorry for any inconvenience.
It seems that the default InterMap entry was changed to point ot the PmWiki group, rather than the PmWiki wiki. This PITS entry thus requests that the PmWiki Intermap entry be restored.
Technically this isn't a bug. The PmWiki: shortcut is to the PmWiki group on pmwiki.org, and so adding an extra group name results in an invalid pagename.
The correct way to link to a PITS entry is to use
Pm, The reason I formatted it like this is because I copy text from Simon to other PmWikis, and it saves me (re)typing, and it did used to work! What changed?
There was a problem with some invalid pagenames resulting in infinite redirect loops. So, where PmWiki used to try to make the best of a bad pagename (and sometimes guessed wrong), it now lets one know directly when an invalid pagename has been entered.
I may be able to improve this again in the future.
--Pm --Thanks Pm
(2006-07-14) Why does the InterMap entry for PmWiki: not point to the root of the site?
it should be
PmWiki: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/ to allow access to all groups.
Logically, PmWiki should point to the wiki PmWiki, not the group PmWiki, in the same way that the default InterMap entries Wiki point to the C2 wiki, UseMod points to the usemod wiki, etc. Someone changed this recently and it broke all the links to the wiki PmWiki.
- The logical argument comes down to "compared to what": intermaps to PmWiki.org locations (CookBook and PITS) or to other sites. Anyway, looking at the Change Log I see that way back in Version 2.0.beta8 (13-Dec-2004) Pm "Fixed incorrect PmWiki: location in intermap.txt."
I am closing this entry (declined) for the following reasons:
- all pmwiki.org intermap links PmWiki:, Cookbook: and PITS: consistently lead to the WikiGroup
- the bug that existed before and which is requested here, was fixed in 2.0.beta8 almost 5 years ago -- I trust that by now wikis relying on it have either changed it localy, or don't use it (or never needed to upgrade)
- currently there are many PmWiki: links in the core documentation, to pages on pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ which are not included in the download; we wll not break everything and then have to fix it
- a wiki can always modify this entry locally, the way it requires, or add a new one, like PmWikiOrg: to the root.
Thanks, --Petko October 03, 2009, at 09:29 AM